EUROC aims to bring timeshare owners together
Newly-formed timeshare owners association the European Resort Owners’ Coalition (EUROC) has begun the process of recruiting members after outlining its plans to stand side by side with timeshare owners and committees from home owner clubs (HOAs) and resorts around Europe.
The association aims to form an alliance of likeminded people who all have the same goal, duty and commitment towards preserving, protecting and enhancing the world of timeshare ownership.
The association’s remit is to represent the interests of timeshare owners in Europe and will be an “owners association run by owners for owners” according to the EUROC board.
The new body aims to develop relationships with Europe-wide government departments, consumer organisations, enforcement bodies and the media, ensuring that the voice of the timeshare ownership community is heard and owners’ interests formally represented and acted upon.
Jane Gilmartin, EUROC’s member relations manager, is now recruiting members from timeshare owners’ committees, home owners’ clubs (HOAs) and resorts around Europe.
Gilmartin said: “EUROC aims to become the public voice on timeshare-related issues, providing support and guidance to EUROC committee members and HOAs, and protecting timeshare owners from fraudulent timeshare scam companies.
“EUROC membership is open to all timeshare owners’ committees, irrespective of their size and whether they are independently run by an owners’ committee or have a developer in place at the resort.
“Becoming a member of EUROC will put the owners represented by member committees and HOAs at the forefront of our activities and initiatives, as we come together as one voice to create a powerful united front.”
EUROC offers a wide range of services and benefits to its members, which, over time, will be developed and enhanced, based on member feedback. EUROC membership is solely for owners’ committees and HOAs, and will be their primary one-stop shop for legitimate resources and advice on important information relating to the timeshare ownership industry.
Support and guidance
- Updates provided by the Member Relations Manager to keep committees and HOAs abreast of any current and potential legislative, regulatory and market-driven issues that impact timeshare their owners around the UK and Europe.
- EUROC serves as the official voice for all timeshare owners and is the first line of defence against legislation that may negatively impact owners, clubs or resorts.
- EUROC will work with legislators and regulators at all levels of government to educate policy makers and ensure fair treatment across the broad range of issues.
- Professionally drafted papers will be submitted on behalf of committees, HOAs – and the owners they represent – to local councils and governments on specific issues that may affect timeshare use and operation, such as the potential implementation of the bed/tourist tax in the UK, Spanish supreme court rulings and in perpetuity ownership issues.
- Regular communications, updates and contact from the Member Relations Manager.
- EUROC member committees or HOAs will be recognised as representing the best of timeshare by following the EUROC best practice practices.
- Advice and signposting to contacts within the EUROC membership network who can provide and share ideas and similar issues as those at the owners’ club – for example, management fee matters and enhancing owner experience.
- Where appropriate, EUROC will work alongside the Resort Development Organisation (RDO), the trade body for the European timeshare industry, which has a strong record of successfully advocating and lobbying on behalf of its members, whilst protecting the overall timeshare ownership experience.
Fighting timeshare fraud
- EUROC members contribute towards the extremely important ongoing work of the Timeshare Task Force, operated by our partner KwikChex. The Task Force identifies and works to have companies and fraudulent operators that defraud timeshare owners exposed, shut down and, where possible, brought to justice.
- Benefit from updates and alerts on current illegal timeshare activities and scams provided by the Timeshare Task Force for committees and HOAs to share and create awareness among owners.
- EUROC contributes towards the operation of the Telephone Helpline – a service available to timeshare owners who seek advice on how to respond to fraudulent operators, along with advice on refunds, relinquishments, law enforcement and general issues with their timeshare. The helpline is available in English, Spanish, French and Italian, with the future potential of additional languages being brought on line, as more funds become available.
- Education and advice on how to inform owners on how to protect themselves from misleading resale, transfer and marketing scams.
- One-to-one private advice from Kwikchex on how to handle issues affecting owners, resorts or clubs.
- Potential savings on legal fees associated with drafting response letters, on behalf of owners, to claims companies, using a selection of approved template letters from The Timeshare Taskforce available to EUROC members only.
Creating an owner community
- Invitations to attend EUROC seminars/forums for resort committees/club members to come together to share ideas, develop solutions, strengthen ties and make connections with likeminded committees/HOAs.
- Networking with other committees, resorts and external suppliers from the EUROC membership network to enhance the HOA and/or resort or club.
- Ideas and suggestions from EUROC on topics relevant to your owner experience and day-to-day running of the committee or HOA.
- Connection and networking with exchange companies and external booking agencies to ensure revenue growth from unused weeks.