The best alternative travel experiences of 2018
A set of 12 ‘alternative’ travel highlights of 2018 have been unveiled by easyJet Traveller, the in-flight magazine for budget European carrier easyJet.
More than 30 of the magazine’s regular contributors and editors pooled their discoveries from a year of flights around the easyJet network and handed out awards in categories including ‘Best cocktail in disguise’, ‘Best pool with a view’ and ‘Best vegan burger’.
easyJet Traveller editor Jonny Ensall said: “The #easyjetbestof awards are a refreshing alternative to stuffy travel guides. They celebrate the real experiences that gave us goosebumps this year.
“We have a fantastic network of travel writers, bloggers, vloggers and photographers who were all very keen to share the great things they did in 2018 that would otherwise go under the radar.”
Loyal customers of easyJet were also invited to share their highlights using the #easyjetbestof hashtag, and their suggestions appear alongside the official list in the December issue of the magazine.
Lisa Blair, easyJet’s chief marketing officer, said: “2018 was an exciting year for travel experiences, with customers brimming with travel suggestions.
“It goes to show there is far more on offer than just the typical tourist hot-spots to fill our customers with that get-up-and-go spirit.
“Social media has really driven people to seek more adventure, more unique experiences and great Insta-worthy locations to share with their friends.
“We added a number of new destinations to our network this year so customers have even more to explore, including Aqaba in Jordan, Rovaniemi in Finland, Volos in Greece and Pau in France.”
The 12 best travel experiences of 2018 were:
- Best cat café – Maison de Moggy Edinburgh, UK
- Best pool with a view – Hotel Miramonti Merano, South Tyrol, Italy
- Best public toilet – Strait Street Toilets Valletta, Malta
- Best wild escape – Stedsans in the Woods Halland, Sweden
- Best vegan burger – Temple of Camden, London, UK
- Best cocktail in disguise – Bellboy’s Keep Clean #2 Tel Aviv, Israel
- Best hotel for Instagram likes – Paradiso, San Antonio, Ibiza, Spain
- Best éclair – L’Eclair de Génie, Paris, France
- Best cycle tour – Moustache Tour, Ljubljana, Slovenia
- Best escape game – The Crystal Maze, Manchester, UK
- Best vinyl cave – 12 Tónar, Reykjavík, Iceland
- Best alfresco art – Fondation Carmignac, Porquerolles, France
The winners were revealed in the December issue of easyJet Traveller, which is available on all easyJet flights. Honourable mentions were also made for runners-up in each category. The awards will run again in December 2019 with new categories to suit the year’s travel trends.