Love Home Swap reveals travellers’ bucket lists
A new survey by leading home exchange programme Love Home Swap has revealed the destinations that top Americans’ travel bucket lists.
The Travel Bucket List Survey of 1,000 Americans. uncovers U.S. consumers’ travel aspirations and the barriers that stand in their way.
According to Love Home Swap’s Travel Bucket List Survey, 77% of Americans have a travel bucket list, but only 3% have actually visited all the destinations on their list. There are a variety of reasons they cite for not making the trips, but overwhelmingly, the top barrier (85%) is cost.
Ben Wosskow, managing director of Love Home Swap, said: “At Love Home Swap, we’re committed to helping provide our members with unique vacations for a fraction of the cost of traditional accommodations.
“Our research shows that people want to live like locals when they travel. With thousands of inspiring properties around the world ripe for swapping, we can help them experience a new place for a whole lot less without having to forgo any of their usual home comforts.”
The top five emerging international hotspots that Americans are interested in visiting include Japan (55%), Finland (34%), Thailand (34%), Portugal (28%) and Argentina (26%). While these places can be pricey to travel to, home swapping can be an ideal alternative to help travelers who otherwise might not be able to cross a dream destination off their bucket list.
Love Home Swap’s Travel Bucket List Survey Results:
• 77% of US consumers have a travel bucket list
The most desirable countries on people’s travel bucket lists are:
- 55% Japan
- 34% Finland
- 34% Thailand
- 28% Portugal
- 26% Argentina
- 19% Singapore
- 14% Croatia
- 5% Slovenia
Likeliness of consumers visiting destinations on their bucket lists:
- 3% have already visited all the destinations on their bucket list
- 52% are likely to visit a destination on their bucket list
- 45% are unlikely to visit a destination on their bucket list
Barriers to checking off destinations on travellers’ bucket lists:
- 21% dream big, but tend not to follow through
- 85% say cost is an issue
- 19% don’t have anyone to travel with and they don’t want to travel alone
- 5% don’t think that hotels provide a comfortable travel experience as they don’t have enough space
- 14% want to experience the destination like a local, but don’t know how to
- 17% have too many places they want to travel to
American views on home swapping:
- 4% have done a home swap
- 14% plan on home swapping, but haven’t yet
- 20% are nervous about someone staying in their home
- 29% are not familiar with home swapping
- 34% aren’t interested in a home swap